People ask our family every day “what can we do to help?” It’s an important question, with many answers. We are big believer’s in the idea of “think globally, act locally.” In that spirit, here are a few ways you can support Rory and kids like him everywhere.
Any family dealing with Chronic Kidney Disease or End Stage Renal Failure will tell you that this process is frustrating, overwhelming, scary and expensive. Those closest to us (primarily our friends & family) have expressed a desire to help and we have created this section for them. If you want to help, but cannot or do not to pursue living organ donation; we are always in need of financial and material help.
Here is a wish list of items that would be put to excellent use by Rory and our family:
- Grocery store gift cards, especially to health food stores where we can purchase vegan-style milks and cheeses, which are useful in helping us accommodate Rory’s dietary restrictions.
- Nintendo DSi and games, to play while in the hospital and on dialysis.
- DVD’s, that are kid-friendly to watch while in the hospital and on dialysis.
- Gas & Target Pharmacy gift cards, to help Momma and Daddy pay for prescriptions and gas to and from doctors appointments and the hospital.
- Respite Care: come and babysit for an evening….please!
- Access to Alternative Therapies that insurance doesn’t cover like massage, chiropractic care and accupuncture.
- Playdates with families willing to accomodate special needs (see “respite care”)
- Gift Cards to Subway and Biggby, both of which are available to parents 24/7 at Children’s Hospital and taste much better than the cafeteria food.
- Dialysis Belts (size small) from this website
We are a military family on one income. Our current budget falls over $600 short of what we actually need to make ends meet and keep all the bills paid. If you don’t have time to shop or want to help with ongoing financial expenses please feel free to contribute directly by clicking the link below:
Children’s Hospital of Michigan is an amazing institution with some of the best doctors and nurses we’ve ever met. They mean the world to our family and many other families like ours. Please consider making a donation to support their work.
Make A Wish of Michigan gave Rory the best gift anyone ever could: a whole week free from worry, stress, fear and pain. They granted his wish to go on the Nickelodeon Cruise last summer and our little boy has never been happier. If you want to help make wishes come true for critically ill children, click here.
Ronald McDonald House of Detroit provides a home away from home for parents and siblings of children being treated next door at Children’s Hospital. They staff is amazingly kind, loving and devoted to making the most difficult experiences just a little bit easier. If you want to learn more about how to help RMDH, click here.
At this point there is no cure for Hinman’s Syndrome. This means that while a kidney transplant will help to mitigate the damage already done to Rory’s kidneys; he will have to catheterize himself for the rest of his life in order to prevent future damage from occurring. Our family truly believes that it is possible to find the root causes of (and potential cures for) Hinman’s Syndrome.
The National Kidney Foundation is a leading advocate for education about and research into renal and urological disorders. If you do not wish to contribute to the Kidney Kid cause directly, you can always make a donation in his honor to the National Kidney Foundation of Michigan, our local affiliate which sends Rory and other children like him to Kidney Camp each summer. Click here to visit their website.